Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cheddar Mac and Cheese


Now, nothing beats Momma's Mac and Cheese, but it is Sunday, and I have absolutely NO Velveeta! Cody really wanted some yummy cheesy something, however, so I nabbed this recipe from Food Network, and changed it to fit our tastes: AKA SIMPLE! It was pretty much delicious, so next time that I am fresh out of the ingredients for the good stuff, I will make this again!

Whole wheat pasta
3 Tbs. butter
2 cups milk, warm
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Boil pasta until done, drain. While pasta is cooking, melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a boil, continue to whisk constantly. The mixture will thicken as the heat increases. Stir in 3 cups cheese until it melts.
Top pasta with cheese sauce and enjoy! You can also bake this at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and then eat it, I just didn't have time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I make this recipe, but after the noodles and the milk/gravy sauce is done I layer it in a baking dish (like lasagna) and then bake it in the oven for 30 minutes. The cheese is soft and gooey inside and crispy crunchy on top...oh soooo good

chelsea mckell said...

I love that you recommend using whole wheat pasta - I think it tastes so much better that way. It adds more flavor - kindof a grainy nuttiness - than white pasta.