Thursday, December 13, 2012

Easy Homemade Caramels



Homemade caramels...Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without these. I have always made these the 'old fashioned' way...standing over the stove for 2 hours and stirring and stirring. I couldn't love it more! I absolutely LOVE the nostalgic feeling that I have of home. I absolutely LOVE spending the hours cooking for people that I hold dear. I absolutely LOVE having my mother right next to me making them, teaching me, and having the amazing conversations that we always happen to come upon.
HOWEVER...this time I tried doing it the easy way! I know...funny how after I told you how much I love making them the old fashioned way that I then tell you how I made them the easy way...ha! My mother in law makes this recipe and loves it, so I thought that I would give it a shot! They ended up just wonderful without all the work...which, when you are in a hurry or just don't have the energy to make the regulars, this is a great go-to. I have to admit, these taste a little different, but just as good! I am sure that I will switch back and forth between these two recipes for the rest of my Christmas's!  Enjoy...I hope that you feel the Christmas spirit as you are making these little gems!

Easy Homemade Caramels
Printable Version

2 cubes butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light karo syrup
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk

Melt butter in large microwave safe bowl. Add brown sugar, white sugar, and light karo syrup. Then stir in sweetened condensed milk.

Cook in microwave for 13-15 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. Microwaves vary, you  may have to experiment with yours...mine is exactly 15 minutes!

To know when your caramels have reached the correct consistency:
Do the soft ball/hard ball test...Fill a small bowl with cold water and ice cubes. Drop about 1/2 tsp. of caramel into the cold water and let sit for 5-8 seconds. Using your fingers, pick up the ball of caramel out of the water; if it stays together and you can slightly squish the ball but not completely mash it, your caramels are done. If the caramel simply slips through your fingers and separates, cook for an additional 1-2 minutes and try the soft ball/hard ball test once again. Repeat until you get the desired consistency.

Remove from microwave and beat for two minutes with electric beaters and pour into a greased 9x13 pan.

Let cool (this usually takes about 2 hours), cut into caramels into desired size and shape, and wrap individually in wax paper.

Recipe from Laurel

7 comments:

Tifani said...

I think this would be a great thing to do with the kids. Maybe it will wear them out a little!!! OOOOHHHH I like this!!! :0

Liz said...

This is how my mother in law makes hers and they are great! I love that they don't take so much work.

chelsea mckell said...

oh - your name is on the bottom of the glass dish! so awesome!

Idaho Hodges said...

Mine only take 12 min and 30 sec. so they can be really touchy. Oh they are good!!!

ensadler said...

Just some information. Those wonderfully easy microwave caramels don't work here in Nebraska. I have tried several years in a row only to fail every year. It doesn't matter how long you cook them or how you alter them I can not get them to turn out. It must be the humidity or something. Oh the blessings of Nebraska!

Marvelous said...

Do you mean 2 tablespoons of butter?

Chelsea and Cody said...

Marvelous...no, I mean 2 sticks. 16 Tablespoons!