Saturday, March 17, 2012

Creamy Lime Bars


O my. My tummy feels sick because I just ate, well, way too many of these little morsels. I wanted to hoard them all to myself, and at the same time, share them with the neighbors so they would think I was amazing:)! It worked! I ate my fair share and spread some around to some lucky friends. I mean, what can go wrong with nilla wafers, cream cheese, lime juice and lots of sugar, right? Nothing! These were divine. I would almost say that they are a rival to my amazing sister-in-laws lemon bars, which I just realized I haven’t posted yet! O my gosh I will get on that right away! The lime in this recipe could easily be replaced with lemon, if that’s your fancy! Enjoy the creamy deliciousness, and, if you feel so inclined, invite me over for a bite!

Creamy Lime Bars
Printable Version

40 Nilla Wafers, finely crushed
1 cup flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold real butter
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 Tbs. flour
5 Tbs. grated lime peel, divided
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
powdered sugar (for dusting)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 8-inch square baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Spray lightly with non-stick spray and set aside.
In a bowl, combine Nilla Wafer crumbs, 1 cup flour and the brown sugar. Chop butter into small pieces and then cut into crumb mixture with a pastry blender. (A fork works great if you don’t have a pastry blender).
Press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 15 min.
While crust is cooking, beat cream cheese and granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 2 Tbsp. flour, and baking powder; mix well. Blend in 3 Tbs. lime zest, and lime juice and then pour mixture over crust.
Bake 25 to 30 min. or until center is set. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and remaining 2 Tbs. grated lime peel just before cutting into 1” squares to serve. Store leftovers in refrigerator.

Recipe adapted from Ourbestbites.com
Makes about 36 1”x1” bars

No comments: