Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Applesauce Oat Muffins



I have a hard time thinking of good, healthy snacks for my family. I am always reaching for the same things, which we all get sick of, and quick! When I saw these posted on my friends blog, I had to give them a try. And guess what?! My kids devoured them, I couldn’t stay away, and, this is the big shocker...My husband ate them. He even took them to work with him the next day for a snack. Seriously this just doesn’t happen. He always eats the same snacks, so this was monumental! I hope your family enjoys them as much as we do!

Applesauce Oat Muffins

1 cup rolled/old-fashioned oats
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 Tbs. butter or coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1 banana, mashed, optional
1/2 cup white flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tbs. flax seed, ground, optional

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners or grease the muffin cups. Set aside..
In a medium bowl, stir together the oatmeal, applesauce, milk, egg, vanilla, butter or oil, sugar, and banana. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt (and flaxseed if using). Make a well in the center and pour in the applesauce mixture. Stir until just combined (don't overmix or the muffins will be dense and dry). The muffin batter texture is quite runny, fyi!
Distribute the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups. (I LOVE to make mini muffins-that way my young kids don’t waste 1/2 of the serving that I give them! If doing so, bake for 9-10 minutes.) Bake regular size muffins for 13-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Don't overbake or the muffins will be dry.
Remove the muffins to a rack to cool completely. These freeze wonderfully, if needed!

Recipe adapted from Melskitchencafe.com
Makes 12 regular size muffins, or 48 mini muffins

No comments: